[wplug] general or specific embedded-Linux advice requested

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue Apr 6 12:25:46 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I was going to do this as a summer project...
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2004-February/009500.html

But I decided that I found a cooler and less expensive project.
(Sorry guys. Home improvement projects are taking up a lot of my
cash for now.)

So I bought this sucker on Ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088940622&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

Why? I worked with this model back in 1998 and I happen to still have a
serial cable that goes with it.

OK, What is it?
It is a Sharp Mobilon HC-4600! A handheld with a full keyboard and a
color screen. Even though it's about 6 years old, IMHO there hasn't been
a handheld that has rocked this much.
Check out the specs yourself!
http://www.planitroi.com/product_specs/oem_sharp_mobilon_4600.htm

I'm aware of the LinuxCE project but it appears to be dead and it would
not be any fun running a 4+ year old kernel.

I'm thinking of spending my pre-install researching time on
www.linux-mips.org

Unfortunately I wasn't able to bring it to the meeting last Saturday
since it's in the mail but I'll be sure to show off this hardware to you
guys as soon as I can.

Any advice specific to mobilons or similar embedded-Linux projects
is requested here.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn