[wplug] wow

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Sep 24 11:08:37 EDT 2003

Lance Tost <mailto:ltost at pobox.com> scribbled on Wednesday, September 24,
2003 10:44 AM:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Vanco, Donald wrote:
>> 	RAM and PCI cards - yes, possible today on appropriate hardware.
>> CPUs - not yet (but IBM probably has it working in a lab, and for 2
>> years).
>
> Really?  Gimme a url to some info on this... I'd like to read up on
> it.
http://www.ece.umd.edu/courses/enee759h.S2003/references/chipkill_white_pape
r.pdf
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MCGN-46AMQP.html

...no H-P links off the top of my head (I'm a bit swamped with my stupid day
job right now), but they've got it too.  PCI-X has been around for a long
time now.....

> BTW, have you ever tried installing SAP on a Linux box? We're
> currently evaluating this and there are way more gotchas on Linux
> than Solaris.  For instance, SAP *only* supports a specific kernel
> (2.4.9-e.16enterprise)
> that you need to download from their ftp site and they only support a
> couple of the enterprise editions of Linux (Redhat and SuSE).  Now
> we're going to be stuck with kernel 2.4.9 (and all of the bugs that
> are found in it) until SAP provides a new kernel on their ftp site.
> On Solaris, it's almost always safe to use the latest revision of the
> kernl.
	While I have never tried SAP, it's sounds like a very similar
framework to Oracle.  Lots of press on how great it is - getting it up,
running, and supported is another story (although current Oracle products
are FAR easier to get running than, say, during the RH 7.2 era).  Oracle
will run a checksum against your kernel - if it's not "as compiled by Red
Hat" you're SOL.

Don