[wplug] UPS with shutdown?

Robert Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Sat Sep 6 10:45:40 EDT 2003

Funny you should ask this.

My old UPS died (batteries, that is) and in comparing battery prices to a new
unit, I decided on a new unit.

I found the APC BackUPS pro 1100 at SAM's club for around $118.
It included a smart cable in the box (first APC I ever purchased that had the
cable with it.).

It uses a serial port for communications and I have two of them on my PC.

I installed the apcupsd package from my SuSE 8.2 CD's, read the instructions
on how to configure it, and everything is working great now.

When the UPS is on battery, apcupsd sends a message of such.
When the battery is almost gone, it shuts down the system nice and clean.

Hope this helps,

Bob