[wplug] UPS with shutdown?

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Wed Sep 3 15:23:22 EDT 2003

>From the main page at the url mentioned:
Apcupsd works with most of APC's Smart-UPS models as well as most simple
signalling models such a Back-UPS, and BackUPS-Office.

And from clicking the "models and cables" link:
http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/configure.html#ConfigGeneral

FWIW, I believe NUT is aimed at being a more generic daemon that can talk
to a wide variety of UPS's... this one seems to be APC-centric.

Using NUT with my Connext, I can detect "on battery", "on ac" and "battery
low".  Some UPSs may not signal low battery (or the daemon may not be able
to understand that signal).  So mine sends out a wall message when on
battery then shuts the system down if the battery gets low.  As the system
is shutting down, the upsd daemon sends a signal to the UPS to power
itself off after a short delay so it won't run the battery completely
dead.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>