[wplug] Linux Certification Interest

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Oct 29 09:44:58 EST 2003

Not to rain on your parade, but a couple points:
1) Current Red Hat curriculum and certification is based on / aimed at Red
Hat 9 - as far as I know there's no immediate plans to alter the course
content to reflect the Enterprise product line even though it makes a great
deal of sense given that there is no longer a Red Hat Linux.  That being
said - the differences between RHEL 3 (which one would hope is what you're
teaching as 2.1 is now somewhat deprecated) and RH9 are minimal.

2) While the cost of your class is good for someone that, for whatever
reason, can't spend the week @ RH in either SC or Columbus, Ohio (or several
other testing facilities) the fact is that RH offers the class WITH the cert
test for $2200 (or less if you find coupons / hit the website on the right
day).  Your class fee PLUS the fee to take the test ($750.00) would pay for
a hotel room for the week at one of the aforementioned facilities....

....so - IMHO if your classes were a lot cheaper they'd be much more
attractive.  If I were to be looking to certify I'd likely pass on your
offer.  Actually, if I were looking to (RH) certify I'd wait until the
courses and certs fully reflect the Enterprise product line.

and
3) HTML email sucks

PS - EVERY version of Red Hat is based on 100% "open code" - when you pay
for RHEL, you pay for the support.

Don