[wplug] cdrom ls weirdness

Frank W. Holden Jr. frank.holden at comcast.net
Mon Oct 27 22:26:35 EST 2003

Russ Schneider wrote:

> Frank W. Holden Jr. wrote:
>
>> I have seen this numerous times when the cdrom or a hard drive is
>> mounted. What happens is it doesn't determine the correct filesystem.
>> Normally I see it when mounting a vfat and it thinks it is ext2...
>> This can happen with floppies alot...
>>
>> If you are going to mount something, it is quite wise to use the
>> option -t <fstype> when mounting.
>

> My system mounts the cdrom automatically with this in fstab:
>  /mnt/cdrom supermount
> dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
>
> Once in a while messed up things like this happen.
>
> Is there a way to reset this or something?  SHould I manually type in
> the above at command line after umounting the drive?
>
> P.S. Mandrake 9.1

Your fstab command is just fine on an over all look at cd's. If you run
across this happening again, just umount the cd manually and remount it
manually. The option in the fstab that can get you is fs=auto, but you
can't get around this for auto-mounting. Try the manual mount using the
-t iso9660. If you get a clean mount each time then you can change the
fstab line to fs=iso9660...

Manual command example would be: mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660
Of course you know you have to be root to mount the cdrom OR you setup
sudo to include you so you can  "sudo mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom -t
iso9660" and if you want to add the 'ro' and/or 'iocharset=iso8859-1'
and/or 'codepage=850'  with the -o <option>, but it shouldn't be
necessary. The only time you should need an option is if you want to
mount the cdrom to write, -o rw, if it is a writer and this would be far
and few between in most cases.

Just a thinking out loud...
Frank

--
"When business interferes with pleasure, give up business!!!"-fwh-

<->     The future of "ALL MANKIND" lies within himself!        <->
<-> Until he figures out who he is, then he can never know me,  <->
<->     and to know me is to know the WORLD... -fwh-            <->
<->                           frank.holden at comcast.net          <->
<->                           Some dumb Ham radio operator      <->
Disclaimer:<standard dodo.c>