[wplug] Mandrake 9.2 root not able to chmod.

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Tue Nov 25 11:05:37 EST 2003

I'm speaking from a Slackware/Gentoo background, but you may want to try
unmounting the drive, then using chmod to change the permissions of the
mount point, then re-mount the drive. Additionally, you can set the
"user" option in the fstab to allow users to (un)mount the drive.

su [to root]
umount /mnt
chmod 777 /mnt
mount /mnt
logout

Maybe you've already tried this, but from your description, it did not
sound like it was the case.

You might also be able to use a chown on the mountpoint to change the
ownership if you have a single user, or a group you wish to allow to
access the filesystem. Setting things world writable is not usually a
good idea. If you just create a "windows" group and add all users that
need the files to that group, you can prevent others from being able to
modify the contents.

 --Ben