[wplug] Linux Certification Interest

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Tue Nov 25 11:53:54 EST 2003

If it matters to anyone, (per RH) as of 12-1 all courses given by RH will be
based on, and reflect certification against, RHEL 3.  No word on the
expiration, so one would tend to believe that it remains for 2 releases
(there is no longer any concept of major/minor releases).

Several folks (myself included) have argued vehemently with RH on the pure
marketing BS that is the current naming convention... to no avail.  There
were, in fact, TWO entirely different releases of RHEL 2.1 and this has
caused ongoing nightmares for business partners of HP and IBM (like us) who
scripted against one installer or the other.  But RH is now a marketing
company, and cares more that a PDF or magazine ad can be made to last for
years as opposed to alert users to a change in the current shipping
installation media by calling it 3.1.....

I am working hard to learn to love SuSE... but it's an ugly baby to
love.......  I am so tired of RH.... and others are as well based on the
lukewarm launch of RHEL 3.

Don

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Vanco, Don wrote:
>
>> Not to rain on your parade, but a couple points:
>> 1) Current Red Hat curriculum and certification is based on / aimed
>> at Red Hat 9 - as far as I know there's no immediate plans to alter
>> the course content to reflect the Enterprise product line even
>> though it makes a great deal of sense given that there is no longer
>> a Red Hat Linux.  That being said - the differences between RHEL 3
>> (which one would hope is what you're teaching as 2.1 is now somewhat
>> deprecated) and RH9 are minimal.
>
> When they changed the numbering scheme, I emailed them asking when my
> certificate would expire because they claimed it would be
> good for 2 major
> number changes. I can't find the exact quote from them I'm
> looking for,
> but what I got out of it is, RHL and RHEL are basically the
> same thing,
> with RHEL having a slower release cycle. Certificate
> expriation dates were
> then changed to be based on the version of RHEL in existance
> at the time
> of the exam. Ie. I took what was the RH 7.3 exam, but RHEL
> 2.1 was out, so
> my certificate expires when RHEL 4.0 is released.

https://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/rhce_faq.html#current
I'm not disagreeing with you, Don, I'm just hopefully clarifying things?

> 3) HTML email sucks
I concur.