[lists@procario.org: Re: [wplug] Update on Verizon ADSL]

Mike Procario lists at procario.org
Sat Nov 22 00:58:28 EST 2003

Interesting enough I just got Verison DSL in Maryland today. I
have been waiting for three years to get broadband since I moved
from Pittsburgh.

There was a problem with the line that required a service call,
and the account setup blew up on me. Both of these required calls
to Verizon.

I then had problem with the service just hanging after a page or
two of web surfing. It took more calls to get that fixed. It
turned out the my DSL modem was too close to my monitor. Putting
it a foot higher up seems to have cured things. I also felt that
the verizon techs were quite good. One tech had me ping 127.0.0.1 and I
replied "oh loopback".

The DSL configuration in Redhat 9.0 worked like a charm when I
booted back into Linux.

Now I have to get my router working so the rest of the family
can join in the fun.

Mike

BTW It took two tries to send this. I had to reconfigure postfix
to use SMTP AUTH with the Verizon servers.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 06:03:22PM -0500, Hagbard Celine wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In case anyone wonders, the DSL escapade has reached a successful conclusion.
> Basically, they were late with bringing up the line.  I had a carrier at
> around 22:00, instead of it being there when they said it was there at 08:00.
>
> I finally got the network to myself at around 02:00, such that I could play
> with whatever I had to play with, and everything flew VFR.
>
> Amazingly, three of the four techs I dealt with in this period were quite
> helpful and nice and everything.  Perhaps there is hope for the world?
>
> Nah, who am I kidding...? :)
>
> Hagbard

Mike Procario
"Another casualty of applied metaphysics" -Calvin and Hobbes

----- End forwarded message -----