[wplug] processes that won't die

Keir Josephson keir at pastadish.com
Wed Nov 19 23:00:09 EST 2003

I'd like to make an observation. I've been following this thread, and
it seems that this problem is prevalent through many of the major Unix
flavors. Has anyone noticed a common entity between all of these cases?

More detail on my HP-UX issue. The Portable File System (PFS) is
designed to allow HP-UX to recognize an ISO-9660 formated cdrom.
Primarily, Oracle software cdrom's need this. They are in PC format and
HP-UX (11.0 anyway) doesn't see them without it. The PFS daemons
utilize the nfs subsystem to make the raw cdrom device operate as
though it were a remote mounted file system. When the unmount function
fails, eventually all disk operations freeze. Even basic operations
like df & rm. The error that comes back on hp-ux is "NFS Server not
responding". Any process that has frozen cannot be killed (even with a
-9).

Is anyone else seeing anything that might point to the NFS
functionality in the kernel?

-Keir