[wplug] (OT) Laptop Durability

Mark Haney mh2g at xinterra.com
Tue Nov 18 15:53:23 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a laptop, which I would dual boot with Linux and
FreeBSD. I've never had one, and I'm a bit concerned about their
durability. I know that many wplug subscribers have experience with
computer support, so this may be a good forum to ask some of my
questions about laptops.

How long do they generally last? (I would probably be carrying it back and
forth between school and home daily.) Are there certain brands that have
a good reputation for durability? How easy is it to have failed parts, such
as a bad hard drive, replaced?

Of course one reason I'm interested in this is because laptops are
expensive and I want to use it as long as possible! Another reason,
though, is that I'm thinking about purchasing a refurbished laptop to save
some money. Has anyone had any notable experiences with refurbs?

Thanks for any insights you can share,
Mark Haney