[wplug] RedHat and Fedora?

J Aaron Farr farra at apache.org
Mon Nov 3 18:20:56 EST 2003

Quoting Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com>:

> So what's everyone's take on RedHat discontinuing all free Linux
> versions in favor of for-pay Enterprise versions and suggesting people
> use Fedora if they want something for free?

I can understand how some business users might be distressed by the 'lack of
official support', but I don't think it's really all that too concerning.  With
this move, Red Hat brings it's distribution back to the community (via Fedora).
 It will still be supported in just the same fashion that Debian, Gentoo,
Slackware, and the other community based distos are.  It allows Red Hat to focus
on what it's good at (and at its bottom line) and allow the community to handle
what the community is good at.  Those that are looking for corporate support
will still be able to find it (Red Hat Enterprise, SuSE, Mandrake).

> Has anyone any experience with Fedora?  Is it anywhere close to say,
> Redhat 9?  I'm gathering it won't be supported by RedHat at all, but
> maybe by volunteers.

Yes, by volunteers and probably a few lucky employees who are paid to work on or
with Linux.  But then, how is that different from the vast majority of open
source software, above and beyond linux?

In the end I think it's a smart move on the behalf of Red Hat and the linux
community as a whole will benefit.

---
  jaaron      <http://jadetower.org>