[wplug] RedHat and Fedora?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Nov 3 17:56:30 EST 2003

Sometime in November Russ Schneider assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| So what's everyone's take on RedHat discontinuing all free Linux
| versions in favor of for-pay Enterprise versions and suggesting people
| use Fedora if they want something for free?

they have to make money and this is the route they decided to take. i've
benefitted for quite a while on the generosity of redhat.

| Has anyone any experience with Fedora?  Is it anywhere close to say,
| Redhat 9?  I'm gathering it won't be supported by RedHat at all, but
| maybe by volunteers.

disclaimer: i've only read about fedora.

i'm more concerned about support for applications that do not come with
redhat. everytime a new version of redhat comes out i have to test software
we use like matlab, cplex, gams, matematica, etc. as i understand it,
fedora is going to have the latest and greatest stuff. if that includes c
compilers, then we might not be able to use it. most companies cannot
afford to support the latest version of gcc that redhat has beaten up.

i'm not too sure about this whole enterprise thing. i sent an email to
redhat asking them to explain what they ment by quarterly updates and how
they would be available. i'd be happy to buy a license if i could download
the updates via ftp or rsync. i don't want to have to use their up2date
client. the quarterly thing scares me because what do i do if there is an
exploit in ssh on january 4th. do i wait until march to patch it? that just
doesn't seem practical, but i assume they will deal with this.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E