[wplug] Building redhat from source

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri May 23 15:34:56 EDT 2003

bgtrio at yahoo.com wrote:
> Is it not possible to rebuild a redhat install entirely from the
> source rpms, and optimize for your machine?
	No - the .src RPMS have .spec files that are generally <ahem>
optimized for i386

> Anyone out there interested in helping me write a script to do this,
> or better yet even done something like this before?
Try this:
cd /dir/with/src/rpms
rpmbuild --ba *.rpm

	...but it really gains you nothing over installing Red Hat's already
compiled binaries.  There may be a way to unpack each src RPM and tweak the
spec file for alternate architectures (e.g. i686), but that would take
longer than installing Gentoo! (not to mention require a couple TB in disk
space to actually unpack & build against all the RPMs)

Don