[wplug] floppy

Juan Zuluaga jz31416 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 13:28:55 EDT 2003

Why not just try mtools? I am sure it is already in
your system.
mdir
mcopy
mdel
from http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/mtools.html
"Mtools is a public domain collection of tools to
allow Unix systems to manipulate MS-DOS files: read,
write, and move around files on an
MS-DOS filesystem (typically a floppy disk). Where
reasonable, each program attempts to emulate the
MS-DOS equivalent command.
However, unnecessary restrictions and oddities of DOS
are not emulated. For instance, it is possible to move
subdirectories from one
subdirectory to another. "

However, from your original description of your goal
(to access files in the Windows partition, from Linux,
taking automatic care of the file permissions), you
may want to add a line to your /etc/fstab file. (There
was a relevant discussion on this a few days ago...)

If you just want to do it once or twice, then, as
root, you can mount the partition:
# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt
(assuming /dev/hda1 is Windows 9X, /mnt has nothing
else, etc...)
# ls /mnt
# cp /mnt/MyDocs/FileYouWant.txt /home/amy
# chown amy /home/amy/FileYouWant.txt
# umount /mnt
# exit
$ vi FileYouWant.txt

A suggestion, Amy: don't concentrate too much on the
specific GUI tools, since there may be all kinds of
desktops, and only recently they ae being
standardized.