[wplug] Network delays

Mike Griffin mike at dmrnetworks.com
Wed May 14 14:30:52 EDT 2003

This seems kind of silly to me.. but redhat (on setup) changes the
localhost line of /etc/hosts to that of your defined hostname:
ex.  127.0.0.1  john.theripper.net

I always change this to:
127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost
some.ip.addr.here   john.theripper.net   # if you need this.

another thing...  IF you're pulling out your network cable, it sounds
like it's trying to resolve your hostname via the default gateway that
you have set (trying to contact the nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf) so,
as the first line in /etc/resolv.conf add this
search localhost

hope this helps

Mike