[wplug] smp

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 7 23:50:16 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:06:11PM -0700, Bob Schmertz wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2003, Chris wrote:
>
> >Do most distros come with kernels for dual proc systems?  If I throw in a
> >copy of RH 7.2, will it pick up the 2 procs and install the correct kernel?
>
> I've seen Red Hat 6.2 install an SMP kernel on a machine (possibly more
> than one machine) that _wasn't_ an SMP box.  Don't know if the detection
> has gotten any better; maybe that was just weird hardware.  Anyway, if
> it doesn't get it right the first time, it's not hard to give it an
> alternate kernel.  And I've never messed with SMP myself, but AFAIK,
> there's no extra setup involved beyond getting the right kernel (and
> having software that's designed to take advantage of it).

A kernel with SMP support is not impaired by a uniprocessor system.  The
"detection" is done by the kernel, most likely Redhat installs an SMP kernel by
default no matter what.  And if it's not enabled, it's just one option in the
kernel config to set to Y.  Or to get a precompiled kernel for.  Very simple
setup.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.