[wplug] smp

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Wed May 7 17:06:11 EDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Chris wrote:

>Do most distros come with kernels for dual proc systems?  If I throw in a
>copy of RH 7.2, will it pick up the 2 procs and install the correct kernel?

I've seen Red Hat 6.2 install an SMP kernel on a machine (possibly more
than one machine) that _wasn't_ an SMP box.  Don't know if the detection
has gotten any better; maybe that was just weird hardware.  Anyway, if
it doesn't get it right the first time, it's not hard to give it an
alternate kernel.  And I've never messed with SMP myself, but AFAIK,
there's no extra setup involved beyond getting the right kernel (and
having software that's designed to take advantage of it).

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz