[wplug] geforce4 and redhat

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Wed Mar 26 15:42:17 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Beth Lynn wrote:
> Personally I didslike letting x automatically start
> at boot time just in case major X windows woes arrise.

Not sure what dist of linux you use, but recent versions of Redhat that've
seen will give up after x tries (5 or so) and resort to a text login
screen.

Also, for the original poster... when X is in that state, you can do an
'init 3' from another vc rather than a reboot.  This will shutdown X which
will allow you to try to reconfigure and restart (either with startx or
if you're confident, init 5).

Also, I thinkt he XF86Config-4 syntax was phased out.  It was temporary
until XFree86 3.x was phased out.  You should be able to find your config
in /etc/X11/XF86Config.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>