[wplug] RH - XP dual boot - write error on VFAT from RH

Henry Umansky hmust2+ at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 6 17:52:03 EST 2003

I don't think there is a filesystem driver to read AND write to an NTFS
partition yet, just read-only.

This snip is from the FAQ on http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net

<snip>
3.2 Can the Driver write to an NTFS volume, too?
Not really.

There are two drivers, currently. The original driver, in 2.4 has some
write code in it, but it is extremely dangerous to use it. The possibility
of destroying your filesystem is very high.

The new driver, introduced in 2.5.11, has some write code, but it's very
limited. The driver can overwrite existing files, but it cannot change the
length, add new or delete existing files.

Adding write support will take a long time. NTFS is built like a database.
Any changes you make, necessitate making changes in many places, for
consistancy. Make a mistake and the filesystem will be damaged, make too
many mistakes and the filesystem will be destroyed. Also, the current
developers are only working on NTFS as a hobby, during their free time. If
you'd like to help, please email me: webmaster at flatcap.org.

</snip>

--On Thursday, March 06, 2003 4:14 PM -0500 Andreas Rindler
<arindler at cmu.edu> wrote:r