[wplug] packet loss

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 6 10:21:09 EST 2003

Sometime in March Russ Schneider assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Rick Smith wrote:
|
| > Next see what driver is in use.  My system picked the wrong one for
| > my card and I had lots of packet loss.  Using right driver really helped :)
|
| How do I determine what driver is being used for my card?  And if it's
| determined I need different one, how do I go about finguring out which
| one and go about installing it?

to figure out what is being used:

type 'lsmod' and look for things like:
3c59x
eepro100

or try 'cat /etc/modules.conf' and look for:
alias eth0 eepro100
alias eth1 3c59x

to figure out which one you need you can look at the output from 'dmesg'
and you will probably see stuff like this:

3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
00:0d.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at 0xd000. Vers LK1.1.18-ac
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0

search for Donald Becker in this output, he writes many (most?) networkcard
drivers for linux.

you can also pop the card out and look at the stuff written on it. you
should be able to get the manufacturer and model number this way. if you
have windows installed, you can also look at what windows is reporting for
you nic. you're on your own when it comes to where to find this info.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh at member.fsf.org |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
--Henry David Thoreau