[wplug] packet loss

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Wed Mar 5 10:45:01 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:32:55AM -0500, Vanco, Donald wrote:
> Rick Smith wrote:
> >> And how would I get and install a new driver?  I've never messed with
> >> Linux drivers before as this is the only Linux system I've used and
> >> all drivers were built in and I never had to mess with them.
>
> 	The Intel stuff is entirely self-explanatory.

I was confused as to where Intel came into the picture,
so I read the initial poster's post again.

What caught my eye is the ifconfig isn't reporting lost packets.
The route table doesn't look like it is overlapping ppp0 and eth0.

The only thing I saw reported as a problem was ping was losing packets.
As Mike mentioned, you might check firewall rules.  I've used machines
that mess with the rules as part of preventing ddos attacks on the network,
or something like that.  Ping on those machines reports packet loss,
and they work quite well for everything else.

Is that the only problem with the network is that it is dropping packets
on ping?  Does everything else work well?  There may be no problem.

> (and it backs up - something WAY to many folks don't do prior to editing)

Agreed.

-- Rick