[wplug] packet loss

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Mar 5 09:32:55 EST 2003

Rick Smith wrote:
>> And how would I get and install a new driver?  I've never messed with
>> Linux drivers before as this is the only Linux system I've used and
>> all drivers were built in and I never had to mess with them.

	The Intel stuff is entirely self-explanatory.

> First is to see what you need.  What kind of card / onboard net is
>   it? What does this output lspci | grep net
>
> Next see what driver is in use.  My system picked the wrong one for
> my card and I had lots of packet loss.  Using right driver really
> helped :)
>
> What is the system configured to use?
> On a RedHat and possibly other systems,
>
>   grep eth /etc/modules.conf
>
> Then grovel through logs to see what happens when it boots.
> Either will be in the file /var/log/messages or seen when running the
> command 'dmesg'. If it's been a while since booting, then it may no
> longer be in either place.
>
> Something should be there about starting eth0 with a driver name
> /version.

	Opinion here, but Red Hat desktop is really, really becoming GUI
dependent.  While I know that knowing the command line stuff is a great
idea, the fact remains the "redhat-config-network" will do all of the
required network stuff in a single interface, and insure that errors in
editing /etc/modules.conf a minimized (and it backs up - something WAY to
many folks don't do prior to editing)

Just my additional EU0.01837 (as valued @ 9:32 AM EST)
Don