[wplug] computer use for the young

Brad Hoover b_hoovs at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 18:17:15 EDT 2003

I'm glad I got a discussion going, but perhaps I
should make a clarification regarding my position.  I
*never* suggested that a TV or computer be withheld
from children.  I simply told you what Cliff Stoll
said was right for his kids.

What I really wanted to say, was that we need to be
careful how use technology in education.  Early
exposure to computers is fine, but shouldn't be
considered a *very important* point in the big
picture.

What got me thinking on this subject, in addition to
the thread, were articles that I read talking of a
"digital divide" (probably first coined by a
politician or software marketer), that suggested that
schools needed to invest heavily into new technology
in order  for their students to have a good education.

So, all I wanted to say (and I apologize if this
wasn't expressed very well earlier) is that we all
should question whether the investment (personally or
publicly) is worth it.