[wplug] computer use for the young

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed Jun 11 00:15:33 EDT 2003

My daughter was introduced to computers when she was about a year. She
started with simple "keyboard banger" type games.  (Do a google search).
When she was about 2.5 I build her a win95 box.  By 3 she knew how to
insert the CD to play a game, or click on the START and navigate to her
games on the HD.  (Although I did give her her own folder off the start
menu.)  At this point, she still could not read, just some letters and
picture association.

Now she checks out the typical kid sites (nick, noggin, pbs, etc) with
icons that I placed on her desktop.  I have also installed Tux Type and
Tux Paint for her within the last year, and she really enjoys that.  My
Linux box is _MINE_,:-) but she has played xpaint on it on
occations(sp) and now she gets a real kick out of playing xbill.

So, I guess to get back to the OP -- If your kid will sit long enough
(my boy is now 1.5, and he has no interest in the computer yet) he/she
does not have to read - they learn the images and motions first.  Just
sit down with him/her and enjoy.

Start out with the simple stuff; paint programs, keyboard bangers, then
move up to the cordination stuff.  You will be amazed by what he/she can
do.  And beleive me you will enjoy the time spent.

I get off my soapbox and stop bragging now.  Hope it helps.  Can you
tell that I am a proud parent :-)