[wplug] computer use for the young

billings at negate.org billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 10 15:35:55 EDT 2003

Not having children myself, I can only remember my own computer
education.  My family had an Apple II that I used to play with all the
time.  My favorite game was Rocky's Boots:
http://www.warrenrobinett.com/rockysboots/
You can download a disk image of it, and play it on an Apple II emulator
now.  It definately was fun to play, don't be scared off by them telling
you about how it teaches you logic circuits, I had no clue, I was just
playing neat games that required you to think.

Also, I enjoyed using Turtle Graphics in later elementry school.

Now, my younger cousins like to play games on their Windows PCs, and I
haven't seen many comparable games for linux.  Unfortunately, early
education is pretty much dominated by MS.

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 13:03, Duncan Hutty wrote:
> I have noticed recently several references by wplug members to their young children's use of computers/linux.
>
> My daughter is about 2.5 years and I am interested in getting her exposed to computers & technology; I believe that familiarity breeds comfort & ease. Therefore, I ask you what is that your young children do with computers?
>
> Are they looking at (I avoid the word 'reading') websites?
> Are they playing traditional type games? By this I mean not so-called educational games.
> Are they using software produced by educational companies/institutions?
> Or something else?
>
> Maybe I'm having difficulty being imaginative here because most of my use of computers is text based and I know she can't read yet!
>
> Could you point me towards or recommend resources/sites/software that is not Disney/Barney/Spongebob corporatised and that of course is linux friendly?
>
> I plan to throw in a Knoppix cd when she wants the 'puter to minimise the risk of damage.
>
> Duncan Hutty
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP