[wplug] X-Win32 alternative

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Mon Jun 2 10:03:59 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 07:17:21PM -0700, Bob Schmertz wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Arnaud Loos wrote:
>
> >From a previous post I saw a reader mention StarNet X-Win32. I went to
> >their webpage and read a little about the product. I was wondering if
> >anyone knew of a similar product that maybe didn't cost as much?
>
> There's a port of XFree86 to Cygwin.  I don't have much experience with
> it, but I think it's a serviceable alternative.

It works pretty well, but the killer for me was that the clipboard
support was poor (I understand it's been improved in the past six
months, though), and that it displayed all X windows in a separate
desktop window (they didn't interact with 'native' windows.  I
understand they were working on an XServer that would provide this,
too, but it wasn't there at the time I had to commit to an X server
for our project.

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws