[wplug] Linux/unix server monitoring tools

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sat Jul 26 13:24:04 EDT 2003

Sometime in July Mark Dalrymple assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| A friend of mine asked me today:
|
| (Big Organization) has an in-house tool used for monitoring CPU usage,
| run queue, wait io, etc. for its Solaris and AIX servers. Since we're
| using some of the first linux machines in the Big Organization,
| they've just now discovered porting this to linux will require a
| non-trivial amount of work due to differences in how the linux kernel
| stores these data.
|
| So, while they're working on that port, we're looking for a
| reasonable alternative. which is where you come in.
|
| Does anybody have any recommendations for systems that can provide
| this sort of information? The preferred architecture is to have
| data-gathering clients run on each machine with a central server to
| collect and display in a spiff web UI.
|
| Any folks have a favorite tool they use?  (someone pointed me to
| http://www.nagios.org/ already)

it's funny you should mention this. i just started looking for the same
thing. i've found nagios too, but damn i get the feeling like using it is a
long term relationship. does anyone know of a quickstart howto kind of
thing for nagios? or alternatively, does anyone know of something easier to
use which will give me info like uptime, and current system load?

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E