[wplug] wireless network on RedHat 8

Melissa B valancy at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 21:42:05 EDT 2003

Thanks to all at InstallFest for the help Saturday.  When I left, my
laptop had Linux installed, up and running, and I was even getting
online, and I was thrilled!

I'm still just as thrilled, but I cannot get my network connection
working at home.  At CMU, the machine auto-detected the wireless
network "grace", but the home network isn't registering.  I tried
entering it by hand based on the RedHat 8 manual online for setting up
the wireless card, but nothing I've tried has worked.  I'm hoping
someone here can steer me in the right direction.  I'm a Linux newbie
and very rusty on my command line but could do it if I'm walked
through it.

So going through the GUI, I put my machine's IP in the Hosts section
(along with 127.0.0.1) and named it "mymachine.network" with
alias=mymachine.  Under DNS, I wasn't sure what hostname to put, so I
left localhost.localdomain, but the DNS settings are the same ones
that work find on my Windoze box added under "DNS Server Search
Order," top one for primary, second for secondary.  For the card
itself, I statically set the IP address along with subnet mask and
default gateway, and based on some info I found on the RedHat web
site, I set the mode to Auto, specified the network name and channel,
entered the network password as "Key"... I'm at a loss for what to do
now.  And I never saw anywhere to enter

Any idea where I've gone wrong here?

--
Best regards,