[wplug] newbie having trouble with dependencies

Rick Harris ftumph at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 12:30:56 EST 2003

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure where you got the RPM for Ethereal or how
you were installing it, but I just installed it myself
on Mandrake 9.0 to try it out.  Here is what I did:

1.  I went to www.rpmfind.net and did a search on
"ethereal".  I found this link about halfway down the
page and downloaded the RPM from there.

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/9.0/contrib/RPMS/ethereal-0.9.6-2mdk.i586.html

2.  I become root ("su")

3.  I ran "urpmi <rpm-file-name>".  This is probably
the best way I know of to install RPMs on Mandrake.

Urpmi checked the dependencies, had me insert the
first installation CD so it could install a couple of
required packages, and it was done.

4.  I got out of root access ("exit") and typed
"ethereal".  It ran.  Of course I know nothing about
the application itself, but it looks pretty cool.
I'll have to play with it when I have some time.

Good luck!

- Rick

--- "Teodorski, Chris" <cteodorski at ppg.com> wrote:
> I think I'm missing something.....I'm trying to
> install ethereal....I've downloaded the RPM for
> it...and it has about ten dependencies and everyone
> of those dependencies seems to have either a
> conflict or another dependency....am I missing
> something???  Is it really this hard difficult to
> install an app?
>
> btw, I'm running Mandrake 9.

=====
Richard Harris