[wplug] Why I choose Linux

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 14:56:45 EST 2003

--- Russ Schneider <russpgh at stargate.net> wrote:

> Coutch, Robert wrote:
>
> > I plan to someday return the generosity of those responsible for all this
> > free software by making a small contribution of a program of my own.
>
> I can offer little in terms of programming software, as I'm a web
> designer, not a software designer.  However, we can all give back by
> helping those more newbie than us in getting their systems up and running.
>
> Don't just ask question in newsgroups.  Go through and try to answer the
> ones you can.  Give back.  Make the community strong.
>
> </preach>

Not only that, but many projects are seriously lacking in documentation and/or
testing, but especially documentation.  Having a good Users Manual or
Installation Guide is very valuable to any project.  And it's something that
the original programmers often don't have time to do or can't properly explain
the software to a new user, ie- they're too close to the project to appriciate
a newbie's mindset.

If you start using some new open source software that doesn't have a User
Manual or whatnot, consider taking notes as you start using the software
yourself.  Then after writing them up nicely, contribute them back.  For one
thing, you'll save a lot of work for those that follow you.

jaaron