[wplug] Why I choose Linux

Coutch, Robert Robert.Coutch at tvratings.com
Tue Feb 11 14:33:27 EST 2003

After reading the posts about showing off Linux to Windows users and the
.doc file thing - I started to think (or ramble) ......

Forget those arguments about greater stability or better customization or
open standards and try this:

Linux is FREE !  Linux gives you the same capabilities as Windows for FREE !

You can not run Windows programs on Linux (except in certain cases) but
Linux has an equivalent for almost everything Windows has - except it's FREE
!

Compare the cost of a Linux desktop machine vs. Windows.

1 - Windows XP home UPGRADE costs $100, the non-upgrade costs $200 but you
won't come close to Linux
     unless you buy XP Pro which costs $200 FOR THE UPGRADE and $300 for the
non-upgrade version.

     Red Hat 8.0 and other distributions can be downloaded for FREE or you
can pay ~$40 for the box and book.

2 - You'll need to browse the internet and "do" email, play media files and
view images. Both OS's have free tools.

3 - An Office suite will set you back $240 for Office XP upgrade and $480
for the non-upgrade.
     You could purchase Works for around $100 but this is only useful for
really basic stuff.

     OpenOffice is FREE !  KDE Office is FREE !  Gnome Office is FREE !
     You can pay $60 for OpenOffice to get more features and Corel is still
on some shelves at $150.

4 - Like to program?  You can get Sun's Forte - it's sort of free depending
on how you use it - for either OS.
    You can write and run batch files on Windows for free, everything else
will cost you BIG.

     Linux has compilers for almost every programming language for free -
including some decent IDE's.
     There are also pay options from Borland, Sun and others.

5 - You can play games on either OS and you'll find both free and pay.
      For those who think "sobokan" is a good as Linux gaming gets, here's a
list of some of my favorites I play on Linux:
      Quake 2, Doom (PrBoom), Quake 3 Arena, Rune, Heretic, Heretic 2,
Soldier of Fortune, Return to Castle Wolfenstein (a real blast playing
online) and others.
      I hear Wine-X allows lots of Windows games to run on Linux. My stuff
is all Linux native thanks to Lokigames who unfortunately, is no longer with
us.

Folks, I just can't afford to use Microsoft products anymore. I don't have
that kind of money. Over the years I've picked up some used computers and
run a handful of them around the house and at work.
Do you realize what it would cost me to put Windows on these machine and
all the productivity software I would need?

The only way to afford Windows is to buy a new PC with it installed. You
will still be lacking in what you could of had with Linux.

I know of NO individuals (not companies) running Windows that haven't made
illegal copies of software they need to be productive.
Ask those who argue against Linux how many copied programs they have
installed !!!

I appreciate the philosophy of Open Source and the fact that Linux is just
better than Windows but -
to be able to do so much for so little, makes me feel a bit guilty.

I plan to someday return the generosity of those responsible for all this
free software by making a small contribution of a program of my own.

What do you think? Will you mention any of this next time some asks "Why
Linux" ?

-Bob