[wplug] Oracle on RH 8 (was: Entertaining)

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Sat Feb 8 20:47:36 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 18:53, Vanco, Donald wrote:
> At the risk of again asserting myself...
>
> Oracle is not supported on RH 8.0, so there's not much point in discussing
> the functionality.  That being said - you can run mutliple versions of
> libraries and provide functionality for (some apps).  Oracle does quite a
> bit of re-linking, so this might not be the case.
>
> J. Aaron made a better point with his comment re: RH AS and SuSE - that's
> all current & future versions of Oracle are going to be supported on.
>
> A far as what the next release of Advanced Server will be based on (3.1 -
> due mid/late summer) I would be astounded to see it _not_ come out based on
> 3.x.  While I don't know a whole lot aboot it yet, I do know among it's many
> new features will be a clustered filesystem.
>
> You can rest assured that Oracle will be supported at release time.

"Oracle will be supported"... would that be the current version or a new
for-RHAS3 version?  I know you don't work for Oracle, so wild
speculation is welcome...

> Red Hat is also currently baking Advanced Workstation (IA-32 only) and
> Advanced Server ES (IA-32 only) which will be aimed at the "network edge"
> device - it has no clustering capability as AS does.
>
> The coming RH AS 3.1 will support IA-32 and IA-64, and I am really hoping
> PowerPC as well.

Red Hat has so far never released anything for PowerPC... have you heard
any rumors?  I'd bet they'd make it for Sparc before they do PPC.

> The product that is RH8.0 today is heading for support / sales as a desktop
> only product.  Don't expect to see a lot of Enterprise class apps being
> supported on it.
>
> Bob - you can recompile the kernel even in Advanced Server - so there
> shouldn't be any reason you can't get what you need working unless it's
> totally fringe or only part of the development kernel.

I've already done that, but once you do that your OS is no longer a
certified Advanced Server, and if you need support from Oracle and they
find out you're not running a RHAS kernel provided/compiled by Red
Hat... well, you can guess the rest.

> Don

Cheers,
Bob Schmertz