[wplug] Oracle on RH 8 (was: Entertaining)

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Sat Feb 8 18:53:00 EST 2003

At the risk of again asserting myself...

Oracle is not supported on RH 8.0, so there's not much point in discussing
the functionality.  That being said - you can run mutliple versions of
libraries and provide functionality for (some apps).  Oracle does quite a
bit of re-linking, so this might not be the case.

J. Aaron made a better point with his comment re: RH AS and SuSE - that's
all current & future versions of Oracle are going to be supported on.

A far as what the next release of Advanced Server will be based on (3.1 -
due mid/late summer) I would be astounded to see it _not_ come out based on
3.x.  While I don't know a whole lot aboot it yet, I do know among it's many
new features will be a clustered filesystem.

You can rest assured that Oracle will be supported at release time.

Red Hat is also currently baking Advanced Workstation (IA-32 only) and
Advanced Server ES (IA-32 only) which will be aimed at the "network edge"
device - it has no clustering capability as AS does.

The coming RH AS 3.1 will support IA-32 and IA-64, and I am really hoping
PowerPC as well.

The product that is RH8.0 today is heading for support / sales as a desktop
only product.  Don't expect to see a lot of Enterprise class apps being
supported on it.

Bob - you can recompile the kernel even in Advanced Server - so there
shouldn't be any reason you can't get what you need working unless it's
totally fringe or only part of the development kernel.

Don