[wplug] suse

jsbillings at mac.com jsbillings at mac.com
Wed Feb 5 13:16:09 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 12:40, jsbillings at mac.com wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 12:20, Coutch, Robert wrote:
>
> > After reading some of the RedHat posts and linked articles,
> > I'm full of FUD about using RedHat as a desktop OS.
> >
> > I'm waiting for SuSE to release a kernel 2.6 version, then I'll upgrade.
> >

> Redhat releases a lot of custom stuff, but they also put a lot of money
> into linux development.  It's nice to see a publicly traded company
> pouring money into something that's essentially free.
>
> I'm constantly frustrated by the way that redhat handles it's
> development, but I'm also grateful that we aren't stuck with someone
> like RMS at the help of the linux community, that there is some people
                     ^  that's supposed to be 'helm'

> with business acumen working with developers.

One thing I wanted to also mention is that Redhat derives most of it's
earnings from support.  They release their software (and it's source) to
the community.  I hear a lot about complaints, but how many people are
actually sending feedback to redhat?  They are interested in hearing it,
since they are paid to provide a service.

Installing the latest version, saying "this sucks" and switching to some
other OS is really pointless.  Complain to Redhat!  Be specific!  If you
are a developer, send in a patch!

The linux community (and any other community) is what it's members put
into it.

--
Jonathan S Billings <jsbillings at mac.com>