[wplug] suse

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Feb 5 11:02:49 EST 2003

MARSHA ISAACS wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> Thank you for the response.  Although I have used and liked the
> Mandrake
> 8.2, I wanted to upgrade to the fullest linux I coud get at the best
> price. Read good comments about Suse on C/NET, TECHTV, etc.  Priced
> it compared to RH and MND.  I hoped it was as good as some of the
> reviews. Thought I'd ask more advanced than I about their
> experiences. I got the 7 disk Suse Pro for $70 as compared to $160
> for the others.  I'll let you know my experience withit. Thank you
> for you for your comments.helpful.
>
> Best Regards,
> Paul

You folks realize that your comparing prices on FREE software - right?

When you pay for RH or Mandrake or SuSE what you're paying for is the box,
the media, the books, and whatever support the particular package has with
it.
The $40 version of Red Hat has the EXACT same install binary disks as the
$200 version - the difference is the inclusion of the garbage application
CDs and the SUPPORT.

ALL of the contents of ALL of those distros is OpenSource (perhaps a few
time bombed apps aren't)

You can get ISOs of all but SuSE from any of dozens of mirrors out there.

All of the applications they include are likewise available from dozens of
mirrors.

If you _need_ support that's fine, but choosing a distro based on price is
not good reasoning.  It's Linux - it's Free.

Don