[wplug] RedHat moves - help please

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Tue Dec 30 16:15:45 EST 2003

I usually avoid distro comments, as I know so little (each have their good
sides and bad sides).... I will make this observation.

Though RedHat is becoming 'a bit difficult' to work with (specially for the
'free distro' lovers). I actually think it is nice that there is a distro
that has the attitude of 'pay for any help from us'. Very important for
corporate users who need the feeling that they will have someone there to
help them (or are wanting to try Linux for the first time in a production
setting).

Fedora is a great distro and I find I fits most needs. It is also freely
available for full download (unlike SuSE). Most important IMHO is that it
creates that next level of functionality in that you can have a seamless
support / user experience between your big-iron "corporate" RedHat server,
and those small but useful 'utility' servers. Direct support lacks a little
but then again, RedHat will do most anything for money:>)

Debian on the other hand, (correct me if I am wrong) is supported by
contracting help from local or application specific consultant(s). This
distribution would also introduce a system administration learning curve vs.
Fedora / RedHat in that it is structured differently. This is why many still
classify Debian as a home distro.

My $.02

Jeremey Wise (440)-519-6006
Systems Consultant(CNE,MCSE,CSE)
Agilysys, Inc.
Jeremey.Wise at Agilysys.com

IBM ED PACK -Part # SB033 $4,500 ... SP Discount 11%
IBM ED CARD - Part # SB218 $8,995 ... SP Discount 8.5%