[wplug] Redhat moves - help please

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Tue Dec 30 14:34:24 EST 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 21:07, Scott Bourns wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need a little advice, please.
>
> I just inherited responsibility over a remote web server running RH
> 7.3, with Ensim control panel installed. I'm way over my head, but
> used to being here and willing to learn under the gun. I just need
> somebody to give me some quick pointers on these things:
>
> 1. How do I check that 7.3 is as updated and patched as it can be?

Open a terminal as root and type up2date. If you get a registration
wizard, it has never been used and has about 57 remote root
vulnerabilities. If it does its checking and exits cleanly, the machine
is current with all patches.

> 2. Once 7.3 is updated, what should I do about the fact that neither
> it or 8 or 9 are going to be supported anymore? I just don't see the
> smart upgrade move here.

Radical as it may sound, I think that the switch to Debian is currently
the only viable long-term solution. Unless your organization is willing
to pay for licenses, support fees, etc to Red Hat.

Cheers

-A