[wplug] RE: internet access

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sun Dec 14 10:10:11 EST 2003

Sometime in December a D assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I know John, I'm sorry! I'm trying to set up another email account that
| also won't have these annoying ads at the bottom. (plus I want to set it up
| without the digest feature so I can stay in the right thread. just waiting
| for the request to go through.)
| I will probably put off roaring penguin until the basic stuff is working.
| Thank you for the link.
| I'll try the lines you gave above and see what it says. I know this is way
| beyond terminal beginner, but can you tell me what I'm looking for as far
| as "info about my system?" The isp is verizon, it comes to the house and
| hits a DSL modem from westell called wirespeed, then a D-link router which
| goes to our individual computers. (The computer itself is a complete mutt a
| friend helped me put together 4 years ago after a shopping trip to the expo
| mart. Particular components I should report on?)The distro? oy. ok. I'm
| looing at the package (book and CD's I bought from amazon this past summer.
| Red Hat Linux 8 unleashed from SAMS, it says on the book, and on the CD's
| it also says version 1.0, copyright 2003. I just don't even know the
| questions to ask yet. Hummiliation and fear of annoying others would
| normally have had me abandoning the idea by now, but I would soooooo much
| like to not buy another operating system from the big evil company when the
| one I have confirms what everyone tells me about its mahogany handles.
| amy

hey amy, the roaring penguin stuff is pretty much required when you have
your computer plugged into your dsl modem like:

   internet :: dsl modem :: computer

since you have a router, things should probably be a bit easier, since i'm
assuming the router handles connecting to verizon for you. you probably just
need to configure networking on your computer. since you're using redhat run
'netconfig' as root. tell it you want to setup networking. the dlink router
probably has a dhcp server on it, and selecting the "Use dynamic IP
configuration (BOOTP/DHCP)" option will probably work. then hit "ok". after
that try starting the network as root:

$ service network start

or

$ /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

if that doenst work run netconfig again and instead of using dhcp, try
putting values in for the ipaddress, gateway etc. i'm not sure what subnet
dlink uses by default, it should look something like 192.168.n. where n is
probably 1 or 0. say n is 1, then you can put something like:

IP address:           192.168.1.200___
Netmask:              255.255.2255.0__
Default gateway (IP): 192.168.1.1_____
Primary nameserver:   151.201.0.39____

if you have trouble figuring out which subnet you are on, check the ipaddress
on one of your windows machines. after you enter the above stuff, try to
restart the network.

i hope this helps.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E