[wplug] Consulting

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Dec 11 20:04:04 EST 2003

John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in December Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | My reason for stating this is this: Do you know any other field where
> | there are so many people (i.e. actors, writers, comedians ...) with
> | SO much money?  Even people in hospitality (which is just a branch
> | of the entertainment industry, if you ask me) make good money.
>
> sports, baseball in particular. even the worst baseball players make annual
> salaries that i probably wont see in my lifetime. consider tiger woods, he
> probably makes more money from nike annually than most of their workers in
> indonesia combined. not that every sports player is overpaid, just like not
> all actors get paid a bunch. we just tend to notice the ones that do.

Agreed.  But I consider sports part of the entertainment industry.

> | Still, I could be wrong (outsider looking in) but if I were to choose
> | a career based solely on what I thought would make me a lot of money,
> | it sure wouldn't be software development, and it would probably be
> | something in the entertainment field.
>
> i'd shoot for ceo of a company. one of the few job fields where their
> salaries increased as their workers were laid off :).

But CEOs also get arbitrarily fired when investers need a scapegoat.

While I can agree that CEOs make big money.  I wouldn't put "business
managers" (as a group) in that category.  Most of the business managers
I know are overworked and underpaid.

> | Well ... I think that everyone's career choices should be based on that,
> | which (as I've already stated) is why I write software/admin BSD boxen.
> | It raises an interesting question, though: what career does one choose
> | when one just wants to make money?
>
> drug dealer.

Ok, that's a good one.  If I could only discard my ethical beliefs, I could
be making billions ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies