[wplug] Consulting

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Dec 11 17:36:42 EST 2003

Sometime in December Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| My reason for stating this is this: Do you know any other field where
| there are so many people (i.e. actors, writers, comedians ...) with
| SO much money?  Even people in hospitality (which is just a branch
| of the entertainment industry, if you ask me) make good money.

sports, baseball in particular. even the worst baseball players make annual
salaries that i probably wont see in my lifetime. consider tiger woods, he
probably makes more money from nike annually than most of their workers in
indonesia combined. not that every sports player is overpaid, just like not
all actors get paid a bunch. we just tend to notice the ones that do.

| Still, I could be wrong (outsider looking in) but if I were to choose
| a career based solely on what I thought would make me a lot of money,
| it sure wouldn't be software development, and it would probably be
| something in the entertainment field.

i'd shoot for ceo of a company. one of the few job fields where their
salaries increased as their workers were laid off :).

| Well ... I think that everyone's career choices should be based on that,
| which (as I've already stated) is why I write software/admin BSD boxen.
| It raises an interesting question, though: what career does one choose
| when one just wants to make money?

drug dealer.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E