[wplug] Wireless Andrew and Linux

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 25 21:54:56 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:19:28PM -0400, Ryan W. Frenz wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with some information
> on getting a linux laptop working on CMU's wireless network.  Any info
> on what card to get, modules needed, etc, would be greatly
> appreciated.   I'm running  Mandrake 9.1 on a 380 MHz PII IBM Thinkpad.

Get an Orinoco WaveLAN (Silver) or some similar card (Netgear, Linksys,
etc).  I've only used Lucent/Orinoco myself in Linux.  I use the old
wvlan_cs drivers with pcmcia-cs package, but newer kernels have these
drivers now, so you should look there first.  The most important
parameter to set, I found, was network name = CMU (case sensitive).  I
don't know how Mandrake does its configuration, so you'll have to figure
it out from there.  And of course, register with netreg first.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.