[wplug] ot perl question

Henry Umansky hmust2+ at pitt.edu
Fri Aug 22 07:52:56 EDT 2003

Hey John,
I'm not sure why this thought came to me last night right before I was
going to bed.  Anyway, make sure that this file has the execute permission
set, "chmod a+x ~/public_html/samiam.pl".  If this doesn't work, I think I
might have another idea.

-Henry

--On Tuesday, August 19, 2003 11:19 AM -0400 John Harrold <jmh17+ at pitt.edu>
wrote:r

> Sometime in August Henry Umansky assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
>| Can you run the script from the command line??
>|
>| perl ~harrold/samiam.pl
>|
>| If it does run from the command line and spits out a bunch of HTML code,
>| then the next question is, does that directory have CGI rights??  The
>| proper configuration in apache.conf should be something like the
>| following.
>|
>| <Directory /home/harrold/public_html>
>|  ..... <some code here> ....
>|  Options +ExecCGI
>|  .... <some code here> ....
>| </Directory>
>|
>| After fixing apache.conf, restart Apache.  If this still doesn't work,
>| what  does error_log in the Apache log file say??
>
> this is the important part of my httpd.conf file:
>
> <Directory /home/harrold/public_html>
>   Options All
>   AllowOverride All
> </Directory>
>
> i tried it with the line you mentioned above (Options +ExecCGI) but it
> gives me the same problem.
>
> this is the error in error_log:
>
> [Tue Aug 19 11:15:02 2003] [error] [client 136.142.178.208] Premature end
> of script headers: samiam.pl
>
> i even su'ed to a different user, cd'ed to my public_html directory and
> ran the script as that user and it works.
>
> this is really odd.
>
> --
>                                                | /"\
>  john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
>       jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
>            the most useful idiot               | / \
>  What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
>  whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism
> or  the holy name of liberty and democracy?
>  --Gandhi
> gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E

Henry Umansky
University of Pittsburgh
Computing Services and Systems Development
hmust2 [at] pitt [dot] edu
(412) 624 -4357