[wplug] Perl question

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri Aug 22 07:09:31 EDT 2003

Sometime in August Robert Terwilliger assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hey all,
|
| I did a manual install of Perl from the latest stable source (5.8.0) and
| answered a battery of questions during the install. Somehow I must have
| answered one or two incorrectly, as I get these statements (below) every
| time I use a utility that invokes Perl. Perl seems to work FINE; however, I
| get this series of warnings EVERY TIME. If I run a utility that invokes Perl
| 100 times, then I watch the terminal output in an effort to interpret the
| output of the utility but get dizzy from all the repetitive repetitive
| repetitive Perl warnings. Any suggestions?
|
| I have gone to the Perl website, looked through mail list archives, and
| consulted my "Perl in a Nutshell" to no end.
|
| Also, any pointers to specific URLs that might address this issue would be
| helpful.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Robert Terwilliger (a.k.a. Side Show Bob)
|
| *****************************
|
| perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
| perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
|         LC_ALL = (unset),
|         LANG = "en_US"

what does

# export |grep LANG

produce?

for some reason the default value of the LANG environment varaible set by
redhat really messes things up. you can set it manually and see if perl
behaves normally.

# export LANG=en_us

# perl

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E