[wplug] Re: wplug digest, Vol 1 #963 - 25 msgs

Kuzman Ganchev kuzman at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Aug 16 11:34:02 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 07:38:03AM -0700, Elwin Green wrote:
> Feeling bold, I edit that XF86Config.new to say that
> the mouse is at /dev/ttyS0, and try again. Same
> blackout/bad tv response, then a log which ends with a
> list of complaints that it "Could not init font path
> element xxxx", ending with
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

Here's what font related packages I have on my machine:

kuzman at shuriken:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -i font
dfontmgr                                        install
gsfonts                                         install
gsfonts-x11                                     install
psfontmgr                                       install
unifont                                         install
x-ttcidfont-conf                                install
xfonts-100dpi                                   install
xfonts-75dpi                                    install
xfonts-base                                     install
xfonts-pex                                      install
xfonts-scalable                                 install

I'm not sure if you need all these (I actually have some cyrillic
fonts as well that I din't include in the output).

> Great. A *new* new problem. Something to do with
> fonts, I know that much. But I don't know, I don't
> have any idea about - what to do next.

You could try:

apt-get install dfontmgr gsfonts gsfonts-x11 psfontmgr unifont x-ttcidfont-conf xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-pex xfonts-scalable

or if you want to try with just the bare minimum (I've never tried
it, so I don't know if it'll work):

apt-get install dfontmgr xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xfonts-75dpi

> Gripe time: I *know* that my video card is really old,
> <snip>
> webserver with linux and apache and a lightweight
> gui).

You're right about that, and Debian's install process is currently one
of the worst out of the distros. I understand that that's one of the
things under heavies development, and hopefully debian's install
process will look more like Knoppix soon.

> If not, is there a place where I can find generic vga
> settings for x under debian?

You could see what Knoppix's configuration file looks like for your
machine -- http://www.knoppix.net/. That's kind of a lot of work just
to see XF86 configs, but knoppix does do a really good job of
detecting hardware.

Kuzman