[wplug] up2date problem

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Aug 12 15:04:49 EDT 2003

Scott Eicher wrote:
> I am trying to run up2date --list on a Red Hat 8.0 machine. I get the
> following error when I try to run it:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 11, in ?
>     import rpm
> ImportError: No module named rpm
>
> Any ideas where I should start looking to fix this problem? It's been
> a while since I've worked on this machine so I don't know if I might
> have installed something prior that broke it or not.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
	Boot RH8 CD one into rescue mode.  Mount your / partition (and any
other required) and re-install the stock RPM with the correct "--root "
option to point to your mounted /.

	Funny - this is broken on my RH8.0 system as well - must have been a
prior update that horked it.  So far I have been unable to recover - I will
likely try removing rpm / up2date and re-installing from the original CDs.
	As far as I can tell the last time I ran up2date on this box was
June 3rd.

I get the following:
up2date_client.up2dateErrors.RpmError: RPM error.  The message was:
Couldn't determine what version of rpm you are running.
If you get this error, try running
                rpm --rebuilddb

[root at DL320 up2date]# rpm -q rpm
package rpm is not installed

[root at DL320 up2date]# rpm
RPM version 4.1

	...interesting.....

I tried loading the latest RPM from:
ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/test-4.2/
	..and have succeeded in thoroughly breaking RPM because these were
meant for RH9 (and require elf libraries that are available nowhere but in
the RH9 rpm apparently).  It's rescue CD to force in the old RPM for me.  On
second thought - I've been meaning to nuke this box for a long time, and the
current RH beta is pretty good.  Well, better than 9 out of he box.

Don