[wplug] Newbie Questions (Reason)

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 12 15:29:21 EDT 2003

Sometime in August Anand Nimbalkar assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hi,
| Thanks a lot for the replies. Someone asked me to be more specific which I
| think I should have been in the first post itself. Anyways the reason for
| asking those ???
| I am pretty close to getting my Oracle 9i DBA certification and from what I
| heard it?s nice if a DBA has strong OS (I dont consider Microsoft as a
| strong OS) Server knowledge. Traditionally Oracle DBA?s with Unix knowledge
| have been preferred and now its Linux + Oracle. An enterprise version of
| Oracle does not install on anything other than a Server. I keep reading
| daily that XYZ moved to Linux + Oracle and saved $$$. I know that the basic
| structure of Linux Kernel is the same and different companies are utilizing
| it and building applications and features to make it a complete usable
| operating system. I am interested in knowing which version of Linux are
| companies using to work with Oracle.

there are a couple oracle people who hang out here who can probably address
this stuff.

| A stupid question:
| If Linux is free how come RedHat charges 30 + for desktop version  and 1000
| + for Server?

simple answer support. when you purchase the desktop version of redhat, ie
you buy it in a box, you get a certain amount of phone support and access
to their online services. when you download redhat you don't get these
things, just the software.

i'm not too sure about the server stuff, but i imagine it comes with some
extra software and a lot of support.

| And if companies are saving $$$ can I conclude that it is actually
| reduction in cost from may be 5000 that MicroSucks I mean SOFT charges to
| 1000 + that Redhat does ?

people are also saving money because in my opinion linux has cheaper
operating costs. i could imagine admining a couple hundred linux servers, i
couldn't even fathom doing the same with windows. but i'm also just used to
the unix way of doing things.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E