[wplug] crashing servers and filesystem errors.

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 12 09:54:26 EDT 2003

| I would suggest booting with a rescue floppy/CD (tomsbrt or KNOPPIX) and=20
| running fsck + badblocks on the offending partition.

i ran fsck and the disk had tons of errors. since i've never really had a
problem like this, it didn't really make much sense to me. things like
access count is 2 should be 1.

i ran badblocks on it in read only mode and no errors were found. i'm
afraid the data might be corrupted, so i think i'm going to format the
disks with checks for badblocks and rsync the backup from sunday to it. a
day lost isnt too bad, but it would be nice to figure out why the computer
crashed.

there wasn't anything in /var/log/messages to indicate something bad
happened.

the good news is that this will allow me to enable quotas and convert the
disks to ext3. i was waiting for regular downtime to do this anyways.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E