[wplug] On the road, trying to get connected.

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Sun Aug 10 13:02:29 EDT 2003

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Kuzman Ganchev wrote:

> Not sure if this helps, but have you tried overwriting your hardware
> address to that of the dhcp server? I know my hostmom's ISP wouldn't

I did try something like that yesterday - not the MAC of the DHCP server
but the MAC of one of the computers here I'd disconnected (only two jacks,
two lengths of CAT-5 in the house).  When I changed the MAC address of my
own NIC everything worked fine.

> let you change hardware address until you'd had the address for
> several hours (which freaked me out, since I plugged her computer back
> into the cable modem and it didn't work). I know other people do this
> also. e.g.

When I switched the original computer on that link back in for my laptop
it picked up an DHCP lease and worked fine.  At least up here, they don't
time out or go on a "no access" list.

> ifconfig eth0 hw ether 13:37:DE:AD:BE:EF

Yes, that's what I used.

> PS: I think ipconfig \all will give you the hw addr on XP, but it's
> been a while.

/all, but yes.

--
Information security begins with _you_.  Help combat terrorism by encrypting
your communications!  Public key : http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key