[wplug] YOUTH Technology Summit -- conception stages and call > to participate

Mark Rauterkus Mark at Rauterkus.com
Sun Apr 27 18:26:36 EDT 2003

Hi *,

"John" <john at strangeness.org> asked:
> Who is coordinating this effort,
Myself and the principals at AlphaChimp.Com, Diane and Peter, are the leads
at this very early stage.

> I have time and can do just about anything
> you need,

Needs now are "recruitment" driven:
    attending a first round planning meeting
    get others to attend a first round planning meeting
    help to get some ink (earned media) so the awareness can rise, (recruit)

Soon, our needs are:
    sustain the discussion
    research
    craft plans

> but this email is just asking for help but I am unsure of what
> type of help you need.

    Most simple, recruit participants to planning meetings. We're planting
seeds, instigating, aggitating. This is going to be a free thing from the
get-go, so then it is just a matter of running where the wind takes us. But
now, early, we need to make sure it is OPEN, FREE, and PUBLIC. I don't want
it to be bait to be gobbled by any one entity/instutution. Hence, we need
the WPLUG ideals into our earliest steps.

> Is there somewhere online we can see what the
> details of the project are and what we need to do to finish up or shore up
> weak areas.

    http://Summit.CLOH.Org and it points to notes from past ponderings.

Presently, efforts are hardly even a hatchling.

>I'm willing to help, but I don't think I have the time to plan
> and coordinate if that's what you are looking for.

We want to hold 20 first round planning meetings with up to 15 people at
each meeting. After every meeting the slate is made clean. You'd only need
to attend one meeting, 19 still to come. I'd love to get one to three from
WPLUG at each of those meetings. I hope that there are more than 19 folks
who can give a couple of hours to ponder in open about engagement of
community and YOUTH in technology pursuits.

    Round two is strategy. Round three is implementation. But these are far
into the future (net years). he notes from all the meetings are to be folded
into documents. No need to study up before any round 1 meeting, just RSVP
and jump in.

    We are also looking to make some buzz and waves in this style of open
and collaborative process. This isn't CDC work (Community Development
Corporation), nor is it Downtown Planning Collaborative, Mayor's Commission
on Public Education, Parks Commission Master Planning, etc., etc. The way
things play out on Grant Street now is a blasted joke. We'll do better.

    As a self-knock, this isn't YET of an approach where we can stand on the
shoulders of those who came before. After these concepts are introduced to
200 + local people with meaningful opportunities of interactions, then we'll
have a wide base and prop upwards.

Youth Technology Summit Planning Dates:
* Group 02: Wed. April 30, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30
* Group 03: Sat. May 10, 2003 - Breakfast from 10 am - 12pm
* Group 04: May 21, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30
* Group 05: Sat. June 7, 2003 - Breakfast from 10 am - 12 pm
* Group 06: June 11, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30
* Group 07: June 25, 2003 - Lunch from 11:30 - 1:30

Please, RSVP to TechLunch at CLOH.Org.

Ta.

Mark Rauterkus
mark at Rauterkus.com  http://Rauterkus.com
http://CLOH.Org   http://Sunnyhill.org    http://www.Deliberate.com

Pittsburgh Interfaith Impact Network's first 'Public Action' was Feb 20,
2003 at Wesley Center A.M.E.-Zion Church. Thanks for lending your power to
this effort and its Youth & Recreation Task Force. http://dorm.cloh.org